Original LuaX needed a patched Lua, which was one of its biggest "sins". :)

Currently, now that 5.1 and "require" are there, LuaX modules can also be compiled to law-abiding regular modules, linking to liblua as all the other boys (and girls) in the town.

I will send you the latest Serial module sources, but you're bound to need some tweaking to suit them into your compiler etc. surroundings. This work will (mercy on us!) be released via Lua Rocks, once that exists.

Thanks for asking,

-asko

svn checkout svn://slugak.dyndns.org/public/Rocks
cd Serial
make