In my application I have a matrix of data for which I want to use Lua to manipulate it. I'm planning to implement filtering functions, statistical functions and the like. What I'm still struggeling with though is how to represent the data in Lua. Currently I'm planning to keep the data in my app and provide getters and setters for the data. I'm finding difficulties though to find a proper description of it in the PIL or refman. But afair there should be a possibility to do it.

So what I want to be able to do is:

data[1,2] = 1.234
print(data[1,2])  -- returns 1.234

Can someone point me to the right resources so I can start reading and testing myself? Or perhaps someone can give me a hint.

TIA Darius