Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 08:53:21 -0500
From: "Andrew Wilson" <agrwagrw@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Beginning Lua Programming

On 2/2/07, Andew Wilson <agrwagrw@gmail.com> wrote:

> Matt, How did you get it so fast? Mine is due Feb 15th.  Andrew

Oh, yeah, funny thing that.  A while back I did some reviews (can't remember for which publisher).  One was a proposal for an intro to programming book using Groovy.  The other was a draft of a book on OO Programming using Eiffel.  I already fairly frequently get books sent to me[1] since I'm on a college CS faculty, but lately publishers have started sending me copies of books on "odd" languages.  I'm not sure if doing the reviews and getting the books are cause and effect....

Anyway, the particularly funny thing about this (although probably not funny from the point of view of Kurt and Aaron's royalties) is that I got into my office and had browsed over to Amazon to order the book when I noticed the box on my desk.

Matt

[1] <rant>Publishers frequently admonish faculty about how all the requests for free copies drives book prices up.  And yet hardly a week goes by when I don't receive a copy of some book that I don't want, in a subject I don't teach, that's more often than not error-prone, poorly written, poorly edited and just plain bad!</rant>  The occassional good ones I keep and I use them as resources for my courses and my students.  As for the bad ones: when the book reseller guy comes once a year, they get magically turned into (a small amount of) cash which goes into our Math/CS club budget.

<<winmail.dat>>