> For example: Javascript makes my teeth itch and I have as little to do with
> it as possible. (See the archives here for my many messages explaining
> why...) These days, if I want to write rich web apps, I do it in Java using
> Google Web Toolkit, which is an incredibly neat system allowing Java to be
> compiled into Javascript and deployed in a web page. The generated code is
> incredibly nasty, but it works superbly well. This is only really feasible
> *because* Java's a standard with multiple implementations.

I don't see the relationship between Java being standardized and having
multiple implementations and the ability to generate Javascript such as
GWT. IMHO, a standard is only needed when from the beginning you are
planning different compiler/VM implementations. Javascript is such an
example, and we all know how bad it went...

I prefer the "de facto" standard to a more formal one, with one open
source reference implementation, that allow individuals or companies to
fork the code for their own particular needs, instead of remplementing
the whole wheel everytime and trying to keep standard compatibility.

That's at least the approach I took with haXe, which can BTW also
generate JavaScript source code, just like GWT does (http://haxe.org).

Best,
Nicolas