If you're on windows and want a full blown ide ...

... then qde works pretty well:
http://www.quotixsoftware.com/qde_index.htm

It's cheap (20 euro), and you get a project manager, and editor with autocomplete.
It also has a remote debugger, which will let you break and navigate a stack trace with variables, quite a bit like visual studio.
There are definitely some minor bugs and rough spots with qde, but it ends up working pretty well with our project.

There's also vslua, a visual studio plugin, which works mostly as advertised, but I ran into one major bug that prevented me from using it.  It's also quite expensive (normal=$100,pro=$500).