Sure, that is his problem to solve out.  I gave some pointers already privately.

What is worth noticing, though, is not all Linuxes have the readline headers there, it seems. The Lua 5.1 makefile expects they do.

I've got no perfect solution to this; in fact I'd like the macosx target to default to readline. 10.4 has it always.

-asko