I think this is reasonable. It fits the Lua philosophy to declare a simple
mechanism (the one I proposed) that *allows* source files to be in whatever
ASCII-compatible encoding you like, but doesn't require one. This allows users

It will also fail on any encoding that uses low-bit characters as part of an
extended sequence. If there's an encoding that uses <high> <low1> <low2> as
part of a single character, then <low1> and <low2> may potentially confuse the
parser.

Right, but these are arguably not ASCII-compatible.  At the least they are
not what I think of as ASCII-compatible.  ;-)

Russ