On Wed, Nov 22, 2006 at 05:24:41PM -0800, Nick Nugent wrote:
> On 11/22/06, Sam Roberts wrote:
> >On the other hand, maybe it doesn't matter  that the heap is large, the
> >pages will get swapped out, and if you never touch them, who cares?
>
> Unless you're embedded and have no swap.  :(.

I don't agree with "who cares", but it doesn't matter so much for
embedded use.  On a PC, it's nice to let go of memory when you're
done with it, so other applications can use it--but embedded, with
(usually) no other applications running, there's nothing to return
memory to and no other applications that could be using it, so the
problem sort of doesn't exist.

--
Glenn Maynard