Sure, there are bindings & wrappers, but so far the ones I've looked at
(& I haven't investigated yours) either act with the same carte blanche
with regard to changing their APIs, or they don't update at all.

Not updating seems to be a popular choice, but what possible goal
could be achieved by fragmenting the user base between different
versions of the language?

OK, I'll up the ante with Santa.  Now I'd now like backwards
compatibility for Christmas as well.  From version 5.1, any 5.1 script
should run in any future version of Lua.  If the language is mature, and
I think it is, then it's time to say so.

The Oxford English Dictionary has a very simple rule for deleting a word
once it's in the dictionary:  They don't.  I think we should adopt the
same approach with language features.  It might concentrate minds a bit
when new features are being considered.

Regards,
Mike Kreuzer
www.mikekreuzer.com

askok@dnainternet.net wrote:

Without taking stand as to the API question itself, the gluax module interfacing allows modules to be immune to this change. The same binary can be loaded into Lua 5.0, 5.1, and any foreseeable versions.

Personally, I think binary compatibility is not so essential, though.
It suffices to be able to recompile, without changes in the source. Also in this gluax does help.

The technology was in use in LuaX, and is coming "out" in the new LuaX2 next year. As a new thing, modules can be compiled into standard Lua n.n modules as well, which should lower the bar for most people to try it out. I'm planning to roll this out in larger scale alongside the LuaRocks initiative (note: LuaRocks is in no way gluax dependent).

Tried to make this clear, but... it's easier to show the samples, really. :) I will.

Think of it as a higher level "bindings API", above the kitchen-door level Lua/C API.

-asko