On Wednesday, November 01, 2006 2:29 PM, Sam Roberts wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 12:57:59PM -0800, Vijay Aswadhati wrote:
> > To get to the point, I would definitely be interested in a simple Lua
> based
> > RPC module that has low impedance encoding/decoding across C, C++, PHP,
> > JavaScript and Lua. By low impedance I mean both ease of use and
> > performance.
>
> Isn't this xml/rpc?
>
> Sam

[v.a] Not quite. With YAMI/PHP binding and just YAMI in general, I can send
binary data without having to encode in base64 and decode base64 at the
receiving end. Thankfully, PHP strings are just like Lua strings (I think)
are binary safe, meaning you can stuff anything you want into a string. So
the capability carries through without having to encode/decode again.

YAML and YAMI are purely coincidental in their names; and I did feel the
urge to use YAML for message encoding when I started. The need to send
binary data without an extra step on send and receive prompted me to settle
for PHP serialization format.

Vijay Aswadhati