On 28-Sep-06, at 12:37 PM, Mike Pall wrote:

But there is a way to speed up Lua->C function calls:

Interesting ideas. But I think the best way of speeding up the Lua->C interface is to call it less often; i.e. design higher-level interfaces.

The optimizations you mention seem to apply to the math library only (nowhere else would prototypes which only involve lua_Numbers be common), but I can see that speeding up the math library would be a concern for some contexts. The function I was always interested in providing a fast interface for is the one which implements next() for common tables, but my attempts to do so did not significantly speed up non-artificial programs.