One thing everyone seems to be ignoring/forgetting/bypassing is the fact that bitfields are not equal. Most of the time, they are used as C API flags (this includes hw register layouts) and there, a 0x80 and some other 0x80 just aren't the same thing. This is why the grande question should include a way to keep families of bitfield values away from each other, to make it possible to ban using the families cross. Unless you _really_ want a family-less, just numerical 0x80, that is.

Think C enums. That is the way _not_ to go. :) They provide absolutely no type checking.

-asko