Bitwise operators are a must have to program registers of hardware devices on embedded firmware. You typically program hardware by flipping bits on and off in these registers and by checking bits state in registers. If lua is to be used in firmware to program hardware interfaces you need bitwise operator to get to bit-fields of hardware registers. AGRW