I just have a look to this comparaison
and something has been missunderstood by the autor (I think)

He has mentionned:
"A finalizer can be registered with an abstract in Neko, allowing the
user-allocated data to be free when the value is garbage-collected. Lua
does not seem to offer a similar mechanism"

But in Lua when "sharing" a user-data with Lua that is managed by the
garbage collector (obtain with lua_newuserdata if I remember), it is
possible to specify the metamethod __gc to register a finalizer...