Hi !

  I'm not sure if what I'm going to say it's correct, but from the
manual "The environment of the running C function is always at
pseudo-index LUA_ENVIRONINDEX" I think that the lua_environindex is
only accessible when your function gets called from lua, and not when
you are creating a new state. For example:

int test(lua_State *L) {
	lua_newtable(L);
	lua_replace(L, LUA_ENVIRONINDEX);
	return 0;
}
int main(int argc, char* argv[])
{
	lua_State * L = luaL_newstate();
	luaL_openlibs(L);
	luaL_dostring(L, "print(_VERSION)"); // Lua 5.1
	lua_pushcfunction(L,test);
	lua_setglobal(L, "test");
	luaL_dostring(L, "test()");
       lua_close(L);