I just tried creating a simple project for lua.exe using Visual Studio Express 2005, and it worked fine.  The error message you mentioned is on line 103 of loadlib.c, and is displayed if a failure occurs with GetModuleFileName.  I'm not sure what could make it fail, but Microsoft's documentation at  http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url="">
says you can call GetLastError for more information if GetModuleFileName fails.  Hope that helps; it seems like this may be a problem specific to your machine.