Hi Thomas,

> When I run lua from the console, I'm in 5.1.  This would appear to come
> from /usr/local/bin.  (What command to use to determine location (on disk)
> of executing program?)
you must set the PATH env variable. I dont know how to do this on ubuntu
but you can try "man set", "man env" and so :)
you can do "which lua" to see where the system is executing lua.
you can rename the executable too.

> Ok, so I then pull the latest luasql source, and examining the make it
> appears to want compat-5.1.  So I pull that also, and after messing with
> the config directories a bit, get it to compile.  I also run 'make
> install' after editing the config thusly (attempting to use lua 5.1):
compat is needed to use lua50 with the behavior of lua51. compat is not
to be used with lua51.

At,
Edu