On Thu, 2006-08-10 at 20:12 -0700, William Ahern wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-08-10 at 20:08 -0700, William Ahern wrote:
> > So, I'm trying to sandbox a thread and I think I'm overestimating the
> > ability of lua_setfenv(, [thread index]) to circumvent the lexical
> > closure characteristics of Lua.
> >
> > Basically, what I _want_ is to create a process global Lua instance,
> > against which I register all my C functions.
> >
> > Then, for each client (this is a server application), I want to create a
> > sandboxed thread--chain the new env table to the old using the __index
> > metatable trick--from which I will execute some Lua code.
> >
> > However, the only way that I can get the Lua code to see the sandboxed
> > environment and not the main global environment is to actually load the
> > code within the sandboxed thread. I had thought that Lua 5.1 would allow
> > me to load the code, which when I call into the defined functions from
> > the new thread those functions would see the sandboxed environment.
>
> I also tried using a function factory. And then a function factory
> called through loadstring("genfunc()")(). No dice. I really thought that
> would work, and so now I'm definitely more confused than not.

Huh. This _seems_ to work:

	function func_called_from_each_thread()
		setfenv(1, getfenv(0))

	end

Are there any side effects? Is this only setting the environment for
this particular invocation of the function?

--
William Ahern <wahern@barracudanetworks.com>

This message was scanned for Spam, Spyware and Viruses
For more information, please visit:
http://www.barracudanetworks.com