Now, this could be either my fault or your fault.
<<<<
Mine, I should think! ::grin:: lots of other people have luasocket working.  I've spent my entire career programming high-level database languages; anything this close to C makes my head hurt...

Another thing I just noticed is that it is a *bad* idea to
mix 5.0 and 5.1 files in your path.
<<<<
A very good point.  I had thought that luasocket was still installing some stuff in in the 5.0 directories for some reason, but it isn't - I've cleaned everything out and started from scratch and that code is gone.

We are definitely making progress - I can run testsrvr.lua!!

The bad news comes when I run testclnt.lua:
////////////////
andy@jenna:~/luasocket-2.0.1/test$ lua testsrvr.lua &
[1] 7800
server: waiting for client connection...
andy@jenna:~/luasocket-2.0.1/test$ lua testclnt.lua
LuaSocket Test Procedures
attempting control connection...
connected!
testing: method registration
lua: testclnt.lua:104: attempt to call a table value
stack traceback:
    testclnt.lua:104: in function 'test_methods'
    testclnt.lua:504: in main chunk
    [C]: ?
lua: testsrvr.lua:10: closed
stack traceback:
    [C]: in function 'assert'
    testsrvr.lua:10: in main chunk
    [C]: ?
[1]+  Exit 1                  lua testsrvr.lua

I've had a look at the test_methods function, but I can't see anything....

Andy.