On Jul 12, 2006, at 4:16 PM, Erik Cassel wrote:
Notice how this is much more intuitive to users of javascript, Java, C#, VB,
etc. etc.

My feeling, as a longtime scripter in various languages, including JavaScript and Ruby:

There are infrequently but invariably times when I need to call a method on an object and pass in a different object as the scope to operate upon.

In JavaScript, I can do this with the .call() or .apply() methods.
With Lua, I can do this by not using the colon and explicitly passing in the scope object. What you are proposing to do would disallow this. I'd stick with the colon.

My $.02