> Sorry, no insights into this leak specifically, but it
> does bring up a possible suggestion for Lua 5.2 (or 6.0,
> or whatever) - the ability to programatically walk or otherwise
> instrument the not-dead object set in a similar manner to how the
> GC does.

You can do that in Lua itself, using some reflexive facilities. I guess
someone in the list did some tool for this. A student of mine also
wrote such tool (to traverse all live objects of a state). If she is
not in the list, you may contact her directly:

  Alexandra Barros <abarros at inf dot puc-rio dot br>

-- Roberto