Experience shows that performance can only be measured, not "intuitively" hypothised. On some platforms (say, ARM without FPU), doubles really are a brake; on others they're as fast (or faster) as float. I played with this earlier, and making Lua truly double-free demands more than "meets the eye" at first. :)

-asko