> IIRC Scheme (which, sadly, has side effects) says something like:
> there is a sequential order of evaluation for arguments, but which
> one is chosen is not defined (and it's not necessarily even
> consistent across different runs of the same program or even the same
> source code function call executed at different times within the same
> program).

The point is that you cannot evaluate two arguments "in parallel".
Harbison & Steele[1] say something similar for ANSI C, but I could not
find this in the standard. Lua should also respect that restriction.

[1] Samuel Harbison & Guy Steele Jr. C - A Reference Manual (4th edition).
Prentice-Hall, 1995. page 228.

-- Roberto