From: lua-bounces@bazar2.conectiva.com.br
[mailto:lua-bounces@bazar2.conectiva.com.br] On Behalf Of Gavin Wraith
Sent: Tuesday, June 20, 2006 5:39 PM
To: lua@bazar2.conectiva.com.br
Subject: RE: Bitwsie operators in Lua

Dear Mike

In message <BAY23-F24DD4BE1D682C6A53D955FA1870@phx.gbl> you wrote:

> I have noticed your site and distribution (RiscLua) and thought
> about using it as a basis for custom Lua build (my needs are running
> the interpreter on  Windows and vxWorks).
>
> Still it's disappionting to find this shortcoming in a language
> that has been around for so long.

I don't think the absence of bit operations in Lua is necessarily
a shortcoming. It owes its success, after all, by sticking
strictly to a minimalist doctrine. Also, bit operations
depend very much on the platform you are using. You have to leave
something for the individual user to play with :).

--
Gavin Wraith (gavin@wra1th.plus.com)
Home page: http://www.wra1th.plus.com/