Hello,

I was reading the article: The Implementation of Lua 5.0 and went through the usage of switch/case instruction dispatch preferred to direct threaded code techniques (bound to gcc usage) for portability reasons. I thought that conditional compilation was also key to portability more than language... I also guess that a lot of us are building our lua interpreter with gcc.

It is hard to fully understand how much it improves a real application in the end, so I was wondering if anyone has experimented with using these techniques instead of default lua implementation. I wished I could have had time to do so, but…

So when this proves to be a major speed improvement why not using luaconf to detect if gcc is used, and hardware thus select the most efficient dispatch scheme. I see in this article that trade off is actually depending upon target hardware (http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/berndl05context.html).

This shall have limited impact on lua core size, and affect mainly lvm.* and parser I guess, limiting thus the maintenance overhead…

regards