> Beric Holt wrote:
> > Does anyone have any suggestions on why this might be happening?

math.random relies on the C standard library function rand(). So I would
check that rand() works as expected.

> Have you configured Lua to use integer math? I seem to remember there
> was a flaw in Lua 5 that stopped random numbers from working properly
> with integer types, and I've not checked to see if it was
> fixed in 5.1.

That's interesting. I am currently using lua with lua_number set to int.
But as part of porting to my system I had to write my own replacements
for the math.random set of functions, and so I never noticed this
problem.

If you need a replacement for rand(), check out the mersenne twister
implementation that Luiz has on his website:
http://www.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/~lhf/ftp/lua/

- DC