From: bert
Sent: Thursday, May 18, 2006 8:12 PM
Subject: Re: lua on ARM7

Hi Asko, all,

Sorry, I've been out of the office for a few days and not keeping up with this thread.

Anyway, I'm definately interested in that SDL_mixer example.. might help clear up some stuff.

I was thinking of using LUA to process samples from the ARM's on-board analog-to-digital converter, but it looks like that would be asking too much.

So my next question is.. how hard is it to compile LUA to ARM7 assembly :-)
maybe Thumb mode ...

I realize it would be very complicated, since you would need the garbage collector. but what if I limit it to compiling a LUA function like this :

    function process(input1, input2)
       return input1 * input2
    end

I guess that wouldn't be too hard? I'm not sure if there exists a lua scanner/parser in LUA itself...

what if it gets more complicated:

    lut = [0, 0, 0, 0, ... 0]      --- say, 256 values in lut

    function process(input)
       return lut [ input ]
    end

or what about this :

    function process(input)
       local t = [math.random(), math.random(), math.random()]
       return input * t[math.random(3)]
    end

I know these functions don't make a lot of sense but I'm trying to get a general idea of how to go about this.

I'd like to have some function in LUA that does something like this

    funBinaryCode = compileARM(function (input1, input2) return input1*input2 end)

--- funBinaryCode now holds a table of bytes which can be cast to a function pointer on the ARM7 and called

Any comments highly appreciated.

Bert

Asko Kauppi <askok@dnainternet.net> wrote:

Ah, yeah.

Your flag thing is a "one entry queue" but I was expecting Bert not
to want to lose a single interrupt (and them to be different, like
having some data values attached, that Lua would care about).

Anyways, already this is getting speculative, since we don't know
what Bert does. Bert: if you want an event dispatch queue, I can send
code I've used in LuaX/SDL_mixer, to catch played music samples at
real time (and show the graphs by Lua). Don't remember about memory
allocation, but yes, most likely one alloc per interrupt is needed
there.

-asko