> > When calling a C function from lua with a string argument, is that
> > string copied onto the stack that the C function gets? Or does the
> > stack contain a pointer to the original string?
>
> Neither. The stack contains a Lua value, which can be
> converted to a C string (const char*) with lua_tostring. The
> pointer returned by lua_tostring points to the internal copy
> of the string inside Lua. --lhf

Let me ask a different question:

Out of the two implementations I sketched out, would there be any
significant performance difference between them? Basically I am
interested in the relative efficiency of passing strings vs numbers from
lua to C.

>From what you say I suspect that there is no real difference. Which
means I should go with the solution that will be easiest to maintain.

- DC