Hi,

Is there a *simple* C library that shows an implementaion of the C
side of this. I've looked at some of the ones on LuaForge, but they
use a compat51 script which I'd rather avoid and just do it the 5.1
way. Of course maybe I'm not understanding what compat51 is really
doing...

I am setting one up for you just now.

    http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~diego/ran2.tar.gz

Let me know when you get it and I will remove the file.

Don't worry about compat-5.1. This is what Lua 5.0 people
have to use to have access to the Lua 5.1 package system.
The interface is exactly what you would find in Lua 5.1. Of
course, if you are using Lua 5.1, you already have that.

[]s,
Diego.