Jérôme Vuarand wrote:

Now that I see a concrete example, a question comes to my
mind : does a called function (in that case require) has
any mean to access the local variables of one of its
caller ? I would say that no since the local variables are
not part of any environment. Is that right ?

Right.  You can always tell whether a local variable is
accessible from a certain spot by looking at the source
code: the local's scope needs to start above the spot in
question and end after it, which rules out (for instance) a
spot and a local variable in different files.

There is a cheat for this, though -- debug.getlocal can be
used to get a caller's locals (or those of the caller's
caller, and so on down the stack).

--
Aaron