Hi,

I am sure you will be requoted many times. IMHO the way around the
thread problem is have the OS handle the threading for you. IO completion
ports and overlapped IO do this on Win32. For once MS almost got it right.
There is, I believe, a few *nix implementations of IOCPs.
Anyways, the IOCP model should not be tough to emulate on *nix and
it solves a *lot* of thread/mutex nightmares (tremble/shake).

I agree with that, and this is the direction we will take in
writing LuaSocket 3.0. We will try to come up with a nice
common interface to AIO what will work both on *nix and
Win32.

However, there will always be someone asking: "Why doesn't
Lua have multi-threading support?"

Something tells me that trying to convince that person not
to use threads will cause him/her to use Python. :/

[]s,
Diego.