I wrote a Lua binding (zipfs) for libzip.
It provides methods to create/open zip files and to manipulate members inside them.
It supports BZIP2 type compression as an addition to the standard DEFLATE.

You can find it at:
http://luaforge.net/frs/download.php/1509/kcomplibs-1.0.1-src.tgz
(This tgz contains more libraries you need, tell me if you want only zipfs sources and my modification to ziplib).

Best regards,
Daniel

Jeff Sheets escribió:

After researching a bit, I remember that I would also need a libtar
binding in lua as well (or combined in some way), and I'm simply not
willing to program all that.  Does LuaZip support writing zip files as
well as reading?