> it would be nice if the on-line reference manual uses HTML anchors like
>
> http://www.lua.org/manual/5.1/manual.html#io.read

It almost does: the correct link is
	http://www.lua.org/manual/5.1/manual.html#pdf-io.read

as used in http://www.lua.org/manual/5.1/

> Then it would be possible to search the on-line documentation within
> editors like Emacs (in PHP-mode i use php-search-documentation).

I don't know about Emacs, but can't you change whatever macro it uses to
add "pdf-" to the term you want to find?

> Is the reference documentation available in other formats (tex, docbook)?

It will be available in hardcopy in the near future :-)
--lhf