On Tue, 17 Apr 2006, John D. Ramsdell wrote:

A user of the patch has suggested to me that Lua's division and
modulus operator should satisfy the same equation as C's integer
division and remainder operators.

I see this topic was recently discussed in another thread I happened
not to be following.  I concluded that integer division should work as
it does in Python, and changed the patch to define division as
follows.

#define luai_numdiv(a,b) ((a)<0==(b)<0||(a)%(b)==0?(a)/(b):(a)/(b)-1)

This is not reliable: ANSI/ISO C does not specify how integer division is rounded (to zero or to -infinity).

--
http://rrt.sc3d.org/
Reality is what refuses to disappear when you stop believing in it (Dick)