I think I've discovered a bug-ette in LuaJIT :
On Windows, the LuaJIT .exe will happily load an unmodified Lua51.dll, if one is so foolish as to have it on the path, instead of the luajit built dll.

This caused much head scratching, when require"jit" failed from the luajit console...

Human error on my part, but a load/runtime check would be nice.
(ps - this is not a criticism; I like luajit a lot)

btw, I'm setting up Lua / LuaSocket / LuaJIT on a twin-xeon box running fedora4 64bit; any hints on optimum compile options ?

Adrian