On Apr 06, 2006, at 12:12, Gavin Wraith wrote:

Thanks to all for the well intentioned advice about Asko
Kauppi's Integer patch. Unfortunately it has exactly the wrong
behaviour for my purposes. My OS assumes 32-bit integers with
no overflow behaviour. -1 must be the same as 0xffffffff, for
example. #defining LUA_NUMBER to int solves the problems of
calling OS routines at a stroke, but leaves me with no
floats. Lisa Parratt has confirmed what I was coming to suspect,
that major recoding is necessary to have two numeric types.
It is probably not worth the effort. I did use the mapm library
to implement bignums at one stage, but again it was not really
worth the candle.

Is userdata (boxed 32-bit unsigned ints, yay!) too slow or too cumbersome for your requirements?

drj