On Apr 07, 2006, at 00:27, Mark Hamburg wrote:

>> on 4/6/06 8:17 AM, David Jones at drj@pobox.com wrote:
>>
>>> "for k,v in pairs{...}" is not quadratic, but it isn't fast.
>>
>> It's also incorrect if you care about nils or order. Ipairs is
>> incorrect if
>> the arguments can contain nils.

>Of course you're right.  Those damn nils again.
>>
>> The set of cases where nils matter when iterating over varargs is
>> probably
>> small, but it is potentially an issue.

nils passed to a vararg function is a problem more often than not I'd say:

local cat = 1, dog = 2;
print (cat, dawg);

without maintaining nils, there is no immediate way to detect the typographical error above.

>Agreed.  That makes me want apairs in the standard base library.
>drj

I would love to see a more elagant solution than the select function; apairs might be the answer.

<<winmail.dat>>