On Monday, April 03, 2006 9:05 PM, Adrian Sietsma wrote:

> I see no alternative to different implementations for *nix and
> windows, but it would be nice to have an abstraction/interface
> built around the Lua usage requirements, not the os primitives.

Nicely said. Although very difficult to move the masses who are
tuned to one or the other way of doing things. The OS primitives as
they exist today come with a lot of legacy that don't necessarily
have to be taken into the future.

Besides, the trend these days in scripting languages is to provide a
'full stack' - ROR, Twisted and POE come to mind - such that a vast
majority of the users are blissfully ignorant of the OS primitives.

Talking about primitives, some projects that have attempted to move
away from existing paradigms at the OS level are DragonFly-BSD[1]
and AEM[2] patch by Ericsson for carrier grade Linux.

Wishfull thinking in me wants a 'full lua stack' modelled around
Ericsson's AEM ;-)

And to tickle the cats' curiosity a brief quote from AEM and
DragonFly project follows:

Quote from AEM project:
"AEM targets the telecom industry where an efficient  handling of a
massive number of system events is crucial. But in addition, the
field of applications and the way it can be used is manifold: user
space interface for network protocols, embeded in event-driven
applications, exception notifications.... AEM enables the design and
implemention of either fully event-driven applications or
applications mixing event-driven code and sequential code."

Quote from DragonFly project:
"It is our belief that the correct choice of features and algorithms
can yield the potential for excellent scalability, robustness, and
debuggability in a number of broad system categories. Not just for
SMP or NUMA, but for everything from a single-node UP system to a
massively clustered system. It is our belief that a fairly simple
but wide-ranging set of goals will lay the groundwork for future
growth. The existing BSD cores, including FreeBSD-5, are still
primarily based on models which could at best be called 'strained'
as they are applied to modern systems. The true innovation has given
way to basically just laying on hacks to add features, such as
encrypted disks and security layering that in a better environment
could be developed at far less cost and with far greater
flexibility."

Cheers
Vijay Aswadhati

[1] http://www.dragonflybsd.org/main/