I've written a library that allows you to look inside Lua functions from Lua:
	http://www.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/~lhf/ftp/lua/5.1/lbci.tar.gz

If there is any interest, I can add more functionality, such as setting
other kinds of values (as an example, it does allow you to set the
values of constants. That's just for fun; I'm not sure it's really
useful -- it is certainly not polite...)

With this library, it is now possible to write a complete luac in Lua,
because the inspector allows you to implement the listing that is
now output by "luac -l".

If you have any other bright ideas on how to use this library seriously,
please let me know.

Enjoy.
--lhf