Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:
The programs in there do not really test anything; they are merely
examples of Lua code. Moreover, they're not really good examples of
Lua code (some of them come from old Lua versions).

As 'tests' I've found them near-useless, but as examples I
found them *PRICELESS* when trying out Lua for the first
few days.

I'd totally expect to see a good handful of small and self-
contained examples of Lua scripts in the tarball - when looking
at any language these sort of things are (to me) the first
and best (offline and instantly-hackable) reference to
the basic syntax and capabilities, before diving into the
docs to look up anything that's not already obvious from this
code-browse.

So there are two basic problems at the root:
1) they're not tests, they're more like examples
2) they're not actually very good examples

I think the real solution is to:
1) call them examples, not tests :)
2) fix or replace them to the point where you can be proud
to call them good, simple examples of Lua code.

In my opinion and experience as a newbie during the 5.0alpha
period, just removing them would be a sad option.

--adam