> The lock is also acquired and released with high frequency if you spend much
> time calling C code (including the standard Lua library) and even without
> contention this tends to sap performance on a multi-processor machine
> because it forces lots of instruction and memory syncs.
>
> Mark

This is true, about the only way around it would be to surface some type
of locking mech that could be leveraged in addition to standard locking.
 Something like critical sections that would override the standard
locking.  This was of course why I mentioned spin locks as they are
supported at the processor level and (from what I have read and used)
are much faster then software or OS level locking mechs.

 - Jeremy

"Help I suffer from the oxymoron Corporate Security."