mempko wrote:
Hello everyone, I am using lua 5.1 on my mac os 10.4.5
For some strange reason, this simple program does nothing...meaning, it outputs nothing.

I have also tried using luaL_loadfile where I simply have

print "hello world";

in a file and nothing prints. So I guess my question is what do I need to do to create a proper lua state, load a script, and call a function within the script in lua 5.1, since all examples are old.

int main (int argc, char * const argv[])
{

    lua_State* state = lua_open();

    luaL_openlibs(state);

    luaL_loadstring (state, "print \"hello world\";");

    lua_close(state);
    return 0;
}

Never mind, I simply changed luaL_loadstring to luaL_dostring and it worked :). So I guess my next question is, what is the difference between luaL_loadstring and luaL_dostring. It seems luaL_loadstring loads a chunk but does not execute. If this is true, then how do you go about executing it after loading a chunck using luaL_loadstring and luaL_loadfile. Thank you

Thank you Javier Guerra, You have answered my question already :)