We have something like this in Lightroom.

When we create the first lua_State, we push a pointer to that state into the state's registry table. Roughly:

	lua_pushlightuserdata( L, &some_constant );     // (see comment below)
	lua_pushlightuserdata( L, L );
	lua_settable( L, LUA_REGISTRYINDEX );

(We use the address of the function in which the above snippet appears as the constant. It really doesn't matter. The main thing is that you use the same address in the snippet below.)

Later, when we want to get back to the root state, we go back to the registry as follows:

	lua_pushlightuserdata( L, &some_constant );
	lua_gettable( L, LUA_REGISTRYINDEX );
	lua_State* universe = (lua_State*) luaL_checklightuserdata( L, -1 );
	lua_pop( L, 1 );

Note: Ours is actually a little more complicated, as we're storing some other information along with the "universe." I hand-edited this to remove that extra detail, and I may have bollixed it up a bit in so doing. Hopefully, this is close enough to be helpful.

-Eric