From: David Morris-Oliveros [mailto:david.morrisoliveros@teambondi.com]
Sent: Tuesday, 28 February 2006 4:54 p.m.
To: Lua list
Subject: Re: String lifetime (C API)

I don't know the answer to this, but i would always make the assumption
that it's not safe. The Lua guys have always said that the
implementation of the VM is not something static, and might change in
the future, so, even if it may be safe to do so right now, i wouldn't
bet on it working in the future.

But, to my knowledge you can do this:

int SomeFunction( lua_State * L )
{
    lua_getfield( L, 1, "name" );
    const char * name = lua_tostring( L, -1 );

    UseItInAFunction( name );

    lua_pop( L, 1 );
    return 0;
}