While it's not an "LUA" solution, if your using C or C++ (and I assume you are because you posted here) then you might want to have a look at gSOAP (http://www.cs.fsu.edu/~engelen/soap.html).  While you will still have to read the documentation, lots of samples are provided.  I've used gSOAP to implement 5 standalone web service servers over the last 3 years.  It works.

The drill is something like this:

Create a header file that contains the declarations you want to become your RPC (web service) methods.
Run the gSoap tool Soap2CPP over the header file - it generates code that you use to build your webservice.  You have to flesh out the stubs for the RPC calls.

My latest use is "Kibble", a pair of programs for use with the Blackdog (embedded linux) device  (http://www.projectblackdog.com) which uses SOAP (gSOAP based) as an RPC mechanism from the device to the host PC.  It allows passing arbitrary LUA code from the device to the host for execution, returning results.

Terry