Hallo,

On 2/20/06, Lefteris Chatzibarbas <lefcha@hellug.gr> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Lua 5.1 seems to link with GNU readline (when LUA_USE_READLINE is
> enabled).  IANAL, but I believe that this is a violation of the GPL
> license that GNU readline is published under, and Lua has to either
> change it's license to GPL [1], get a special permission from upstream
> authors/copyright holders, or stop linking with the GNU readline
> library.
>

>From the Readline web page:

"Readline is free software, distributed under the terms of the GNU
General Public License, version 2. This means that if you want to use
Readline in a program that you release or distribute to anyone, the
program must be free software and have a GPL-compatible license."

     Lua has a GPL-compatible license, the MIT license. So there is no
need to relicense Lua.

--
-alex
http://www.ventonegro.org/