I've got the latest version of MacOS X with dev tools installed, and Lua 5.1 final, and I'd like to get it built with readline support. I previously built GNU readline 5.0 (to get Ruby's irb to compile with readline).

It's been 12 years since I programmed in C, and I have very little concept of how to link or build things properly. How can I get command-line lua to support up-arrow (if not the 'advenced' readline features)?

I tried the build command here listed at http://lua-users.org/lists/ lua-l/2006-01/msg00200.html which, by itself, failed to run. When I edited the makefile to use 'macosx' as the PLAT variable, it compiled OK, but the lua command-line still shows ^[[A when I press up arrow.

Help, please :)