David Manura wrote:
[snip]
However, in Lua, this need not be the case at all.  A global variable may be
placed in an environment that is local to a single function (what you call
"non-global environments"), and a local variable can be placed at the top-level
scope: [snip]

As a user, I have never been confused. Perhaps you should read Roberto's "Programming in Lua" book instead of looking at the wiki. Learn it as a language without trying to force things from other languages onto it. Browse the wiki after you do "Programming in Lua" and the reference manual. I won't even try to address the issues you've raised -- they have been amply discussed on the list; you can search the archives.

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)