Is it possible that your script doesn't have read/write permission on this device node?  I've had this simple problem in the past, and it is easy to overlook.

If you wanna take a look at my GPS code, we have it hosted on our SVN server:

https://robotics.umr.edu:7651/svn/lua/gps.lua
https://robotics.umr.edu:7651/svn/lua/com.lua

I don't usually like to post work I haven't tested a million times, but maybe that will help you out a bit.  Sorry it isn't commented yet; I will have someone on the team comment it for me at some point...