I'm trying to wrap a particular API function that writes a string into a
buffer.

I can call the function to tell me how long the buffer needs to be, and I can
call it again to actually write the string:

{
	int length = myapi(NULL, 0);
	char* buffer = malloc(length);
	(void) myapi(buffer, length);

	lua_pushlstring(L, buffer, length);
	free(buffer);
}

I'd like to avoid the temporary buffer. Is there any way of persuading Lua to
allocate an *uninitialised* string of a particular length on the stack, and
then giving me a pointer to it so I can fill in that data one's the string's
been allocated?

--
+- David Given --McQ-+ "There is nothing in the world so dangerous ---
+- www.cowlark.com --+ of Birds_